Historic Place Category 1
Secs 46 & 47 Blk 31 Town of Dunedin
The old St Pauls was the first major Anglican church in Dunedin, built in 1862 and demolished early in this century. A wooded church was built at Caversham in 1864, which was moved to Mornington and demolished about the 1960s. All Saints was the third Anglican church built in 1865 and hence is the oldest standing Anglican church in Dunedin. The land was given by Mr (later Sir) James Allen and the foundation stone laid on 11 February 1865. The church was built rapidly (admittedly only the nave and baptistery) and opened on 23 July 1865. The transepts and chancel were added in 1873, by Mason to Clayton's plan. The church has had close ties with the University, particularly through Selwyn College immediately behind it , which was built as an Anglican theological college in 1892, added to in 1928 and converted to a University Hall of Residence in 1966.
This is one of the few buildings in Dunedin which can be attributed to Clayton, Mason's early partner. It is the only polychromatic brick church in Dunedin.
An important element in the old buildings surrounding the North Ground, which form with its old trees a harmonious inner cityscape around a green space.
Its age, its polychromatic brick, its association with Clayton.
ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION (Style):
The style of the building is Early English (Lombardo-Gothic) with notable constructional polychromy. Instead of a spire there is a high front gable with a very large window with narrow gothic tracery. The great front door repeats the pattern of the window.
The roof had been renewed with tiles instead of slates and the interior repainted plain white. Soon after the building was erected the south wall sagged and was buttressed. There is now no sign of a buttress (except for the wings of the façade), and the church had been strengthened with unobtrusive steel cross ties. One side door in the southern transept chapel has been removed to combat dampness. The pulpit and altar have been bought forward into the transept and new railings made in 1970 around the altar. Two stained glass windows from St Hildas old chapel have been placed in the nave and sacristy.
- Original Construction: 1865 (circa)
- Addition: 1873 (circa)
- Modification: 1970 (circa)
- Modification: 1970 (circa)
The Church was founded 'nigh to a bog into which a horse disappeared' (Janet Angus). James Gore was the builder. The front north walls are triple brick of a softer orange-red than most of Dunedin's bricks, relieved by bands of cream bricks with crosses, circles and arches outlined in black and white tiles. The chancel walls are concrete or plaster over brick and the south wall of the nave is rough casted with orange-brown Moeraki gravel. The walls were built by an 'advanced' method without buttresses. The roof was covered with fish-tail slates but has been re-roofed with dark brown tiles. The interior was richly painted in part as 'a gesture towards the new fashion for decoration which men like Pugin and Butterfield had pioneered in England' (Stacpoole1976), but it is now plain white plaster enriched by handsome stained glass windows. A photo of the interior (held by the church) in 1879 shows that the arch into the sanctuary was framed by a biblical text in ornate gothic lettering and the walls were covered either with tiles or with a painted tile pattern with a small fan in the bottom left hand corner of each tile. The altar windows were smaller than the present ones with elaborate chequered arches painted around them. The present larger windows were donated by P C Neill. There are two altars in carved wood, the front one being the older and well carved in gothic style.
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Building Classification Committee report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
this page is correct to the best of the Trust's knowledge. If you have any additional
information you would like to share with the Trust, please
contact the Registrar.
You may wish to contact the Trust to view our paper records.