Historic Place Category 1
Seymour Square is bounded by Alfred, Henry, High and Seymour Streets, Blenheim.
Lot 1 DP 6917 (CT MBD/572), Marlborough Land District
The War Memorial and Clock Tower was unveiled in Seymour Square, Blenheim in 1928 and serves as the Marlborough province's principal monument to residents killed during the First World War.
Following the war, memorials were erected in almost every town in New Zealand. As noted by historians Chris MacLean and Jock Phillips, the memorials served as surrogate tombs for families of the New Zealanders buried in overseas graves, and commemorated the achievements of all those who lost their lives.
The Marlborough memorial was the product of an agreement by its citizens to combine resources to erect a suitably imposing monument. Construction was delayed by years of heated debate over the appropriate location for a Marlborough memorial. The present, prominent site in Blenheim was finally selected in 1926. The memorial cost £4450 and was paid for entirely by public subscriptions. The stone used to construct the tower was collected from all over the Marlborough region to represent permanently the contributions of all its towns to the war effort. The only foreign stone is Australian sandstone, which symbolises the co-operation between New Zealand and Australian forces during the conflict.
The Baroque form and high quality workmanship of the War Memorial and Clock Tower give it a commanding appearance. Designed by New Zealand architect Roger Bacon as a visible and aural reminder of the fallen, the tower stands at 16 metres (54 feet) high and its clock chimes every hour on the hour. Set on a course of seven steps, the lower storey of the tower is built of stones from the Awatere River. It features a memorial chamber that shelters a plinth of grey granite on a floor of red stone. The plinth supports plates bearing the names of the 419 Marlburians who lost their lives in the First World War. Engraved below the names are the words 'Greater love hath no man than this; that a man lay down his life for his friends'. Above the chamber is a strong, symmetrical tower of hard Wharanui limestone. It culminates in a belfry with four arched portals, a sandstone cupola and wind vane. The tower's clock and bells were donated by George F. Watts and his wife Ethel, in memory of two nephews killed in action. The clock was made in Wellington and the bells were specially cast and inscribed for the Watts at Loughborough, England. For the unveiling, special trains were used to transport people from all over Marlborough to Seymour Park. Located adjacent to the fountain that commemorates those that served in the Second World War, the tower remains the centre of ANZAC Day celebrations. It is a landmark in Blenheim, and served as the focus of the city's centenary celebrations in 1969.
The War Memorial and Tower has important spiritual significance as the principal memorial to Marlborough residents who died in conflict. It is a symbol of the contribution made by the province during the First World War and testifies to the strength of local and national sentiment both during and after the war. Its construction of stone from Marlborough and Australia is an important symbol of the ANZAC spirit and the co-operative relationship between residents in the Marlborough Province. Sited in a prominent public park, the tower is an important feature in the Blenheim cityscape. It enjoys high public esteem and has local value as an important focus for civic activities.
Marble dedication panel
Bells and clock face
Plinth in the Memorial Chamber and brass plaques bearing the names of those who died during the war
- Original Construction: 1928 (circa)
- Modification: 1953 (circa)
- Modification: 1969 (circa)
- K. Beery, 'Scrutiny on the County', Marlborough, 1986
- A. Beverley, The First Hundred, Blenheim, 1969
- Chris MacLean and Jock Phillips, The Sorrow and the Pride: New Zealand War Memorials, Wellington, 1990
A fully referenced version of this report is available from the NZHPT Central Region Office
Report Written By
this page is correct to the best of the Trust's knowledge. If you have any additional
information you would like to share with the Trust, please
contact the Registrar.
You may wish to contact the Trust to view our paper records.