Tell us what you think about the Register Online.
We're looking for ways to improve the Register Online and people's experiences when using it. Please help us by completing this brief survey.
Historic Place Category 1
Pt Allots 106-108 Sec 6 Subs of Auckland, SO 45560 etc
Auckland Council (Auckland City Council)
The idea of erecting a war memorial at Auckland Grammar School was first mooted in 1919 although it was not until 1921 that a competition was held for its design. From the 25 entries received, Prouse and Gummer won the commission.
Construction began a year later and the memorial was unveiled on 19 December 1922 by the Governor General Lord Jellicoe. The memorial commemorates the 268 Auckland Grammar School Old Boys who lost their lives in World War I.
The court and flanking walls were erected to commemorate the 342 Old Boys who fell in World War II. This addition was unveiled by the Governor-General Sir Willoughby Norrie on Anzac Day 1953.
The Auckland Grammar School War Memorial commemorates those Old Boys of the School who fell in two World Wars, and whose names are inscribed on bronze tablets attached to the base of the memorial.
The Auckland Grammar School War Memorial combines the exemplary design skills of William Gummer, in partnership with William Prouse, and Richard Gross' fine sculpting. Highly symbolic, its vertical emphasis and outstretched figure are quite distinctive. It is an elegant design and a fitting monument to the school's fallen of the two World Wars.
The memorial is prominent within the school grounds and clearly visible from Mountain Road.
- Original Construction: 1922 (circa)
- Addition: 1953 (circa)
Reinforced concrete foundation; New South Wales sandstone column; bronze sculpture.
- Auckland Grammar School Chronicle,Second term 1921; Third term 1921; Second term 1922; Third term 1922
- Auckland Weekly News,21 April 1921
- New Zealand Herald,19 December 1922, p 10;
20 December 1922, pp 8,10;
29 December 1964
- An Encyclopedia of New Zealand, Government Printer, Wellington, 1966
- New Zealand Historic Places Trust,Frank Rogers, Report on Auckland Grammar School War Memorial
- Kieran J Shanahan, The Work of William H. Gummer, Architect, Thesis, University of Auckland, Auckland, 1983
- Paul Tritenbach, Auckland's Historic Schools, Auckland's Historic Schools' Press, Auckland, 1984
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Building Classification Committee report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
this page is correct to the best of the Trust's knowledge. If you have any additional
information you would like to share with the Trust, please
contact the Registrar.
You may wish to contact the Trust to view our paper records.